Friday, August 14, 2009

Priceless Memories

Priceless Memories
by Bob Barker and Digby Diehl

I used to watch "The Price is Right" every day during the summer. I wanted to be on that game show so bad! I knew the prices, I knew the games, and I loved Bob Barker. He always came across as a funny, friendly gentleman. Now that he's retired, you couldn't pay me to watch TPIR. Can't stand Drew Carey. Ruined the show, for me.

Anyway, as I was browsing my library's new releases, I saw a picture of Bob Barker on the cover of a book -- his memoirs! Hooray! The book flap said it was full of stories about his life, his favorite contestants, and memories of TPIR. Sounds great! Although, when I told other people I was going to read Bob Barker's memoirs, they thought I was a bit crazy. Hmmm.

This was a nice book, written by someone who is not a writer. Technically, this isn't a great example of good writing. That said, it is full of good stories -- about growing up, about his mom and his wife, about his pets, and about his years on television. There were stories that made me laugh out loud, and a couple that made me get a bit misty.

In the end, I came away with the impression that Bob Barker is still a funny, friendly gentleman (even if he isn't a great writer). So in the words of the immortal man: "Help control the pet population. Have your pets spayed or neutered."

©2009, Center Street
ISBN 978-1-59995-135-5

No comments:

Post a Comment