Monday, July 6, 2009

bookends

bookends, by Jane Green

I like Jane Green's novels. I have read three or four of them, so I figured I couldn't go wrong with another. And I was right. bookends is the story of Cath and her friends Si, Josh, and Lucy. They are 30-somethings, and have been friends since college. They all live in London and have pretty much adjusted to the idea of being grown-ups.

When a former college friend comes back into their lives, things change. Old stories are revisited, Josh might be having an affair, Cath & Lucy are trying to start a new business, Si meets a man who no one else likes, Cath meets a man who likes her, but who she thinks of as just a friend.

What I like about other books by Green is true of bookends, too. The characters are funny, realistic, and face normal problems. The solution isn't always easy, and it's not always happily ever after. But it is satisfactory -- no one is left hanging.

©2001, Broadway Books
ISBN 0-7679-0780-9

No comments:

Post a Comment